Tuesday, June 10, 2014

{Happy Wife. Happy Life}

A few months ago (around Valentine's Day)
as I was leaving the grocery store
I rounded the corner from the check stands toward my exit
and off to the left was the jewelry department.

Diamond rings, earrings, pendants... you know lots of pretty things.
Then there was a pair of mannequins set up with t-shirts that read

{Happy Wife Happy Life}

Happy Wife. Happy Life.

My first thought was

"That's funny!"

My second thought was

"Wait, what?!"

I know to many people this simple statement seems harmless
and some would even say it encourages
little romances within relationships...

Happy Wife. Happy Life.

I say
{It's a fiiiiiine line}
One that can be a sweet gesture to romance your lady
OR
A way of buying her off.

Would I LOVE for my husband to come home with roses and pretties for me?
Would that make me happy?

Uh...
{DUH!}
{p.s. it would ALSO make me broke!}

But do I NEED him to come home with roses and pretties
for me still be happy and joyfully meet the needs of my husband and children?

Thaaat would be a
{NEGATORY}

Now before you get bent out of shape and think I'm saying it's wrong
to get/give gifts

I'm not. I promise. 

What I'm trying
{hoping}
to get across is that
our life's happiness shouldn't,
and dare I say,
CAN'T
be reliant on the material
{pretties}
that our significant other's
may or may not come home with. 

If you expect a gift and don't get it
there tends to be bitterness.

If you expect a gift and do get it
there tends to be a desire for more.

If you're expected to deliver and don't
there tends to be feelings of inadequacy.

If you're expected to deliver and do
there tends to be pressure to out do yourself. 

Do we see the vicious cycle?

We're always left
needing/wanting
{MORE}.

More what?

More
{stuff}

Happy Wife?
Not-so Happy Life?

Matthew 6:19-21
19"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on Earth, where moth and rust destroy
and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in a steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

In an age of fast paced lives
and so many distractions
let your
TIME
be your gift. 

Let your
TIME
be the treasure that you
bestow on those that you love.

Give the gift of uninterrupted
one on one
face to face
hand holding
TIME.

Pretties are nice, 
but if I never see my husband
and my children don't know love and affection
pretties are just chunks of junk with no meaning. 

Time is a gift that can really only be stolen by the person who has it. 
Give it. 
'Til you're ALL OUT OF IT.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Want to message me?

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope
If you have found yourself on the journey of pregnancy or infant loss, I encourage you to join this blog. A community of families that know the journey well.

Followers