Wednesday, June 11, 2014

{It's not you. It's me.}

Have you ever been in a situation where
you and a friend or loved one
have had an argument
and you're trying to
figure things out
and you feel like
your words are going in one ear and out the other?

You say,
"When you did ___ I felt ___"
and they say,
"Well... you shouldn't have ___"
and you say,
"You're not listening when I say ___"
and then the cycle perpetuates into madness.

OR

Have you ever been in a situation where
you and a friend or loved one
have had an argument
and you're trying to
figure things out
and you feel like your words are going in one ear and out the other?
{see what I did there?}

You say,
"I'm really sorry... I shouldn't have ___"
and they say, 
"No, no, no, it was my fault I shouldn't have ___"
and you say, 
"No, really it was ME!"
and they say,
"Seriously though... I was the bozo!"
and then the cycle perpetuates into madness.

In both situations the same thing is happening.
The
{Me Monster}
comes out.
The self focused desire to be right
{or wrong}
is what drives us. 
Often times there's really no regard for the other person at all.
We want to be "est" of the situation at all costs.
The Right"est"
The Wrong"est"
{Ya get what I'm sayin'?)

We'll go to far lengths to have the last word.
Even if that means painting a horrible picture of ourselves.
Because maybe...
juuuussst maybe...
we'll get that person's sympathy.
We'll get more
{Me}
time out of it.

I've found this often happens with the people we love the most.
Those closest to us.
The one's we're supposed to protect and love
and sacrifice for.
{Sure, I'll throw myself in front of a bus for you}
{but give you more focus time than me? Psshh! Forget that!}

Oh we humans are whacky little creatures I tell ya...

John 15:13
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends"

Probably wouldn't have had the same impact if Jesus would have been like
"Hey guys, I'm going to be beaten, ridiculed, crucified and die... But first lemme take a selfie!"

Instead He
SELF-LESSLY
walked into torture and gave His life
so that we might know Him. 

He took MY place.
He really did take the focus off of me
in the BEST way possible!

Often even in our relationships with Christ
the
{Me Monster}
comes out. 

Our prayers are for health, safety, more comfort in living...

How often {truly} do you just
thank Him for the fact that you're alive?
How often do you
pray that your life would be one that glorifies Him
in all things?

{I'm obviously JUST as guilty as the next guy}

We're a people of self-seeking.
Yes, we have the ability to be selfless
but there's
{usually}
at least a hiiiiint
of selfish ambition.

I encourage you
{and myself}
to look for ways to say
"It's you! It's ALL ABOUT YOU!"
as much as possible. 

Whether it be in your quiet time with the Lord
and you're truly seeking to glorify Him in your life

or

in your interactions with friends...
Just push your self away and focus on those around you. 

Hear their words.
Meet their needs. 

Instead of "How can I help?"
ask
"What do YOU need?"

Same question.
Shifted Focus. 

Try it.
It's actually a nice change not looking at the
{Me Monster}.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Want to message me?

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope
If you have found yourself on the journey of pregnancy or infant loss, I encourage you to join this blog. A community of families that know the journey well.

Followers