Tuesday, April 22, 2014

{They Got Me!}

Here I am sitting on my couch,
taking a break from work to nurse the baby,
enjoying this peaceful moment,
when I hear a knock at the door.

{Why now?! I'm practically topless trying to feed a screaming baby}

So I get myself together and get up and open then door...

{Mormons} 

I tell you what... they've got a knack for knocking at the WORST times!

Two sweet boys, probably 18 or 19, standing at my doorstep ready to tell me about their faith.
(can I be the first to say, it's WEIRD that I see a 19 year old and think "aww... sweet boy.")
{I'm OLD!}

 I've got Lydia on my hip and they oooh and awww over her for a second.
One politely asks if she's my first. 
"She's our third." I respond

"Oh! Yeah! There ya go!" was the response I got.
{I had to laugh at that one}

Then onto the serious talk...

They started to share about why they were here and what message they had to share with me.

I listened politely all the while wanting to say (not so gracefully)
"Come on in, have a glass of water, and I'll tell you about a very different Gospel that I believe."

They asked if I had a faith in Christ and I said I do. 

They asked if I had a few minutes one day that they could come back and talk to
my husband and I about their message. 

I explained that we quite literally do not. But thank you for the offer. 

They sweetly offered to help with anything that I might need and left me their phone number
on a "Plan of Salvation" pamphlet.
{which one of them referred to as the "Pathway to Happiness"}

I took the pamphlet and they left.

My first thought was 
{"Dang it! The got me!"}

I sat down to thumb through the pamphlet and my heart hurt. 

Not because I was reading something life changing
or I was suddenly seeing truth in the Mormon faith.

But because they believe in their theology with such conviction that they
go door to door and tell people about it. 
{now I realize it's kind of a requirement of sorts but still...}

So here I am reading this "Plan of Salvation"
and I can't help but want to run down the street and get them and say 
{with much more fervor and much less sarcasm}
"Come on in. Have a glass of water. And let's talk about a different Gospel..."

I guess what hit me so hard is that very few "Evangelical Christians" are
willing to go door to door and say
"I've got something amazing to share with you!"

Heck... how many "Evangelical Christians" even know what an
"Evangelical Christian" is?!

Now I realize some people believe VERY different doctrines about evangelism.
{And this is not to become a debate on who/what/where/when/how we are to evangelize.} 

But just having a bold faith that you
ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING
about and having a desire to share it.

What does that look like?

Do you know what you believe?
Do you know why you believe it?
Do you know the difference between your faith and theology
and, say,
a Mormon's faith and theology?

If you were asked by someone of the LDS church 
what you believe about God the Father, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and Satan...
could you answer that question?

It's hard.
I know a lot {A. LOT}
of people who hold fast to their Mormon faith. 

And I'm not going to be that guy that says "YOU'RE WRONG and HERE'S WHY!!!"
But I do believe a very different Gospel than the one they believe and share. 

Today they got me thinking.

Am I sure enough in my faith to be able to share it with someone who asks?
Am I sure enough in my faith to be able to "disagree" with someone of another belief system?

I can, by grace alone, say with confidence that, 
Yes, I am sure. 
My purpose in life is to glorify God and enjoy Him in all things.
Trusting that all things are for His glory and my good.
I cannot choose to be good in my own power.
I am made good only because Christ chose to
give me the gift of salvation through faith. 

I pray this gets you thinking.
I pray this lights a spark for you to dig deep into your faith and chase after truth.
And I pray
{with fervor!}
that your life might be changed by what you discover.
**This being a touchy topic, please refrain from arguments/bashing here or in comment threads.
If you'd like to speak with me,
please by all means email or message me**

1 comment:

  1. I know where my authorization stands, but my in laws are Mormon, and I can say that they push on my family more than I push on them. Thanks for this. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Want to message me?

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope
If you have found yourself on the journey of pregnancy or infant loss, I encourage you to join this blog. A community of families that know the journey well.

Followers