Sunday, June 3, 2012

faith can be shaken but it cannot be moved


Recently we went for a weekend away to
Union Creek.

The water was rushing through the gorge
with so much volume it was
{overwhelming}

I have the tendency to 
be very introspective
while I'm outdoors. 

And if you know me, you know that
Introspective
{typically}
isn't a good place for me. 

But the Lord always meets me there
and He always teaches me there. 

As I was staring at the water
{kind of feeling sad for myself}
I noticed a rock in the middle of the creek.

I could barely see it sticking out of the water.
It was being hammered from all sides by the raging water.
The rock was literally being
{overwhelmed}
by the torrents of water surrounding it. 

My heart started aching for that rock.
{yes, you can laugh. I realize it sounds funny}
But in all seriousness, 
I knew

I
{KNOW}

how that rock feels!

I started thinking about all
the emotions that were,
in that moment,
overwhelming me. 

Seemingly drowning me. 

I remembered the moment we learned Daphne had died.
I was gasping for air.
Trying to breath in a 
{torrent}
of emotions.  

That
{POOR}
Rock!

Wait...

{POOR ME!!!}

[cue my self pity]
{waaaahaaahaaaaaaa!!!}

Okay, I'm done. 

That's when the Lord stepped in and said
"Now hold on. Look at the rock!"

~I am.~ 

"No. Don't look at the water."
{"Look. At. The. Rock."}

and there He taught me. 

The rock,
while being
pounded incessantly
by the raging furry of water,
NEVER MOVED.

It withstood the beating.
It stood firm through the
overwhelming.

That rock and I have more in common that it may seem.

No. I'm not saying
"Look at me! I'm strong! I can deal with all of this!"

{and for those of you about to make a joke}
{about me being dumber than a rock... watch it!}

No.
I understood in that moment
that the
God of the Universe
placed that rock in the middle of the raging water.
The rock was being shaped and changed by the water. 
But it never moved. 
And it wasn't destroyed. 

I understood that
the God of the Universe
has put me where I am.
He put me in the middle of
the 
{raging water}
to shape me. 
To {change} me. 
To {grow} me. 

But I'm still able to stand
knowing that
the God of the Universe
has given me
life
and I have not been destroyed. 

God gives us a pretty amazing promise in Isaiah:

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
     I have called you by name, you are mine.
 
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
    and the flame shall not consume you.
 
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."
~Isaiah 43:1-3~

I will
{never}
be able to look
to my own strength
to survive the
hellish
waters
that come up and overwhelm me
on a daily basis.

But I know that
in Christ, alone, I have strength
to endure even the most disastrous
of trials. 

He has given me the gift of faith.
Faith that without Christ is worthless,
but with Christ, 
{BECAUSE}
of Christ, 
cannot be moved. 


Food for Thought:
What is He teaching you?
How is He challenging you?
How is He shaping you through the storms?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Want to message me?

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope
If you have found yourself on the journey of pregnancy or infant loss, I encourage you to join this blog. A community of families that know the journey well.

Followers